Starting this month, we’ll showcase a featured recipe on our website. We’ll choose a few favorites from the Aim 4 Natural recipe page, search the web or share our own tried and true signature entrées, desserts and beverages. Perhaps you have one that has been in your family for several generations. Have you always wanted to compile a family cookbook to capture those special and unique dishes? Yep, I thought so. Well, now is a good time.
As you’re gathering those scraps of worn paper, tattered notebooks, napkins, etc. why not consider sharing one or two of those prized recipes with the A4N family. We’d love to try ’em.
By the way, I’ve tried to get my 91 year-old Grandma to give me the recipe for Hot Water Cornbread for years. Her response is…
“Recipe? You don’t need no recipe. All you do is get you some cornmeal, flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt…”
Bless her heart. See what I mean? No actual measurements. Just a pinch of this… a cup of that. You’ve heard it too right? I’ll surely make a big mess following those directions. Maybe I could make a video of her preparing this family favorite.
Hmmm…that’s a good idea. I’ll make that my assignment.
Although, my Granddad lovingly called them “dog bread”, it remains a family favorite and we look forward to indulging every week with a plate full of turnip (my fav), mustard or collard greens. Oh and I have to mention those candied yams! #goodcomfortfood
Hungry yet? I know, me too. Heading to Grandma’s this weekend! *doing the happy dance*
Ok so here’s our 1st Featured Recipe taken from the A4N Recipe page and courtesy of Eggbeaters.com. My mom loves Quiche. So in honor of Mother’s Day this month, let’s start with a simple, healthy Quiche dish.
Crust-less Veggie Mini Quiches
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 6 saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets (or your favorite vege)
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 carton (16 oz each) Egg Beaters® Original
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously spray 12 regular muffin cups with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Mix together cracker crumbs and Parmesan cheese in small bowl; set aside. Place broccoli in medium microwave-safe bowl with 1 tablespoon water; cover. Microwave on High 2 minutes; drain well. Chop into smaller pieces. Spoon broccoli evenly into muffin cups; top evenly with corn, crumb mixture and cheddar cheese. Pour Egg Beaters evenly over filled cups
3. Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until puffed and knife inserted in centers comes out clean. Let stand 2 minutes; run table knife around edges to loosen.
Use your favorite vegetables in these mini Quiches. Firm vegetables such as carrots, broccoli or asparagus will need to be cooked in the microwave a few minutes and then chopped finely so they will be tender at the end of the baking time.
Is this a recipe you would try? What are some of your family favorites?
If you’d like to have your favorite recipe featured, complete the form at the bottom of the recipe page.
Until next time,
Always aim 4 natural